These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of Feb. 6, 2023, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.
|Total Battle Force||Deployed||Underway|
(USS 238, USNS 56)
(USS 67, USNS 35)
(41 Deployed, 20 Local)
Ships Deployed by Fleet
|2nd Fleet||3rd Fleet||4th Fleet||5th Fleet||6th Fleet||7th Fleet||Total|
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) is in port in Yokosuka, Japan.
In the Philippine Sea
The America Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) – consisting of USS America (LHA-6), Amphibious Squadron 11 and USS Green Bay (LPD 20) – remains underway in the Philippine Sea.
In the South China Sea
The Nimitz Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is operating in the South China Sea. The Nimitz CSG deployed from the West Coast on Dec. 3 and chopped into U.S. 7th Fleet on Dec. 16.
Carrier Strike Group 11
USS Nimitz (CVN-68), homeported in Bremerton, Wash.
Carrier Air Wing 17
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 17, based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif., is embarked aboard Nimitz and includes a total of nine squadrons and detachments:
- The “Fighting Redcocks” of VFA-22 Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) flying F/A-18Fs from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Mighty Shrikes” of VFA-94 – F/A-18F – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Kestrels” of VFA-137 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Blue Diamonds” of VFA 146 – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Cougars” of VAQ-139 – EA-18G – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Sun Kings” of VAW-116 – E-2D – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Point Mugu, Calif.
- The “Providers” of VRC-30 – C-2A – Fleet Logistics Multi-Mission Squadron (VRM) – from Naval Air Station North Island, Calif.
- The “Indians” of HSC-6 – MH-60S – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
- The “Battle Cats” of HSM-73 – MH-60R – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station North Island.
USS Bunker Hill (CG-52), homeported at Naval Station San Diego, Calif.
Destroyer Squadron 9
Destroyer Squadron 9 is based in Everett, Wash., and is embarked on Nimitz.
- USS Wayne E. Meyer (DDG-108), homeported at Naval Station Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93), homeported at Naval Station Pearl Harbor.
- USS Decatur (DDG-73), homeported at Naval Station San Diego, Calif.
- USS Paul Hamilton (DDG-60), homeported at Naval Station San Diego.
The Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) are at Changi Naval Base in Singapore. USS Makin Island (LHD-8), the flagship of the Makin Island Amphibious Ready Group, left Naval Base San Diego on Nov. 9 for a deployment to the Indo-Pacific.
The ARG includes Makin Island and amphibious transport docks USS John P. Murtha (LPD-26) and USS Anchorage (LPD-23). During the deployment to the Western Pacific, the ARG has worked with other U.S. assets, including Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 21, P-8A Poseidon aircraft and personnel from U.S. 7th Fleet and CTF 72, 73, 75, 76/3, Destroyer Squadron 7, and Amphibious Squadron 7. Task Force 76/3 was recently formed as a result of merging the staffs of the Navy’s TF 76 and the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Brigade, III Marine Expeditionary Force.
The MEU includes the aviation combat element with the “Flying Leathernecks” of Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 122 flying F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters and the “Ugly Angels” of Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 362 (Reinforced) flying MV-22B Ospreys; the logistics combat element made up of Combat Logistics Battalion 13; and the ground combat element with 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines.
In the Piraeus, Greece
The George H.W. Bush Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is in Piraeus, Greece. USS Nitze (DDG-94) is in Gölcük Naval Base, Turkey. USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) was in Souda Bay, Crete last week. USS Delbert D. Black (DDG-119) continues to operate in U.S. 5th Fleet.
Carrier Strike Group 10
USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77), homeported in Norfolk, Va.
Carrier Air Wing 7
Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 7, based on Naval Air Station Oceana, Va., is embarked on Bush and includes:
- The “Pukin’ Dogs” of VFA-143 Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) flying F/A-18Es from Naval Air Station Oceana, Va.
- The “Jolly Rogers” of VFA-103 – F/A-18F – from Naval Air Station Oceana.
- The “Sidewinders” of VFA-86 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore, Calif.
- The “Knighthawks” of VFA-136 – F/A-18E – from Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- The “Patriots” of VAQ-140 – EA-18G – Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) – from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash.
- The “Bluetails” of VAW-121 – E-2D – Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk, Va.
- The “Rawhides” of VRC-40 – Detachment – C-2A – Fleet Logistics Support Squadron (VRC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk.
- The “Nightdippers” of HSC-5 – MH-60S – Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) – from Naval Air Station Norfolk.
- The “Grandmasters” of HSM-46 – MH-60R – Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) – from Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.
USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
Destroyer Squadron 26 is based in Norfolk and is embarked on the carrier. The following ships deployed with the strike group.
- USS Delbert D. Black (DDG-119), homeported at Naval Station Mayport, Fla.
- USS Truxtun (DDG-103), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk.
- USS Farragut (DDG-99), homeported at Naval Station Mayport.
- USS Nitze (DDG-94), homeported at Naval Station Norfolk.
In the Western Atlantic
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) and USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) are underway in the Western Atlantic.
U.S. Marines and Sailors with the 26th Marine Expeditionary (26 MEU) successfully integrated with the Sailors from Amphibious Squadron 8 (PHIBRON 8) during PHIBRON-MEU Integration Training (PMINT) last week. The 26th MEU embarked aboard the warships of the Bataan Amphibious Ready Group – amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD-5), amphibious transport ship USS Mesa Verde (LPD-19), and amphibious dock landing ship USS Carter Hall (LSD-50) – for training within the littorals of eastern Virginia and North Carolina from Jan. 23 through Feb. 5.
USS Carter Hall (LSD-50), USS Oscar Austin (DDG-79), and USS Philippine Sea (CG-58) were on station off South Carolina to recover debris from the Chinese surveillance balloon that the U.S. Air Force took down on Saturday, USNI News reported. Navy and Coast Guard assets are working together to secure the debris field and conduct debris recovery. U.S. Navy divers have been tasked for underwater debris recovery.
In the Western Atlantic
USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) is underway in the Southern California Operating Areas. Puget Sound Naval Shipyard & Intermediate Maintenance Facility finished a six-month Planned Incremental Availability for the carrier on Dec. 4, 2022, four days ahead of schedule, according to the service.
In addition to these major formations, not shown are others serving in submarines, individual surface ships, aircraft squadrons, SEALs, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Forces, Seabees, Coast Guard cutters, EOD Mobile Units and more serving throughout the globe.